So What?

Most museums have less than 10% of their collections on display. We're on a mission to help provide a new kind of access to the other 90%. There's potential value in all of it. Imagine if Amazon only showed 10% of its products!

"The Imperial War Museum has six million photographs and 120 million feet of film. The British Museum has four million prints and drawings. The V&A has one million prints and drawings and 80,000 textiles. Collections like these cannot be displayed in their entirety: they are too numerous and too light sensitive. Placing them all on display would be absurdly expensive and utterly indigestible. It would make them not more but less accessible to the thousands of interested people who currently study them each year and would bring about their gradual but irreversible destruction by exposure to light."

Too much stuff? Disposal from museums, Page 5
(PDF, National Museum Director's Meeting, 2003)


Different points of view

There's a huge gap between the metadata we have about objects and what's written by people who study them. We want to help close that gap by facilitating ways for people to contribute their knowledge (or links or other useful things) back into each object's infosystem.

Objects + Data

Objects can be receptacles and prompts. When you get a Museum in a Box, the objects themselves unlock information.

A museum object and all its data is transportable.

Digitising in 3D

We want to know what happens when you get museum objects off the screen and back into people's hands.

We've selected our current crop of objects and boxes from the public web. If you're interested to start working on 3D digitisation of your 3D objects, let us know.


Museum in a Box Ltd. is registered in England. Company Number: 09849074.